LEGO was launching its licensed Speed Champions sets with Ferrari, McLaren Mercedes and Porsche cars and wanted a brand marketing game produced in a short time scale. We rose to the challenge and have now created two Speed Champions racing games for LEGO.com, iOS and Android.
- For Speed Champions 2015 we used game engine technology we had developed before for LEGO® Technic Race.
- We raised the camera to give a more Scalextric look to the game and this time went with more of a traditional racing control system.
- Each race starts with a fruit machine of challenges that spins and sets up the race, so no two races are ever the same.
- In everything LEGO the emphasis is always on injecting elements of fun and the trademark LEGO humour they have become famous for, so small additions like fruit machines in racing games work well.
- Players collect LEGO Studs and stars, unlocking racer trophies that will reward them with new challenges.
- Gameplay demands a skill in skidding and sliding the cars around the corners in the deliberately twisty tracks.
- Logging in to the LEGO ID system allows players to get competitive with friends, no matter which system they are playing the game on, as they battle up the leaderboard.
- The game was followed up with a HTML5 sequel, LEGO Speed Champions 2017 where the gameplay was transformed into a top-down one-button casual game.
©LEGO. The LEGO logo and the Minifigure are trademarks of The LEGO Group. Used under license of Porsche AG. The McLaren name and logo are registered trademarks of McLaren Group Limited. Produced under license of Ferrari Brand S.p.A. The name FERRARI, the PRANCING HORSE device, all associated logos and distinctive designs are property of Ferrari S.p.A. The body designs of the Ferrari cars are protected as Ferrari S.p.A. property under design, trademark and trade dress regulations.